Friday, March 23, 2007

Asbury Spring Break Cont'd




When we started preparing for this Guatemala trip, it was a task in itself trying to find people even interested. I didn’t think the trip was going to happen. However, God gave me a peace about it and began His work. We originally wanted 15, but cut the number to 10 because we felt we wouldn’t get 15 before Christmas break. When we left for break, we only had 7 or 8 people. So during my time at home, I just prayed hard that God would send the people He wanted to come.
When I returned from Christmas break, I began again to spread the word about the trip. There was still a small bit of doubt in my heart, but God continued to reassure me. Then God started bringing people in. After the break, we actually had more than 10 people, so I began to pray that I wouldn’t have to turn anyone down who felt called to come. God did His work again, and truly called each person to committee. We even had one girl who felt God calling her to stay in the states, which showed God’s will and allowed a final piece of our team to put in place.
We ended up with 10 of the greatest people. Each person has brought something unique to the group, and they have been so willing to do whatever is asked of them. I have loved watching each of them interacting with the kids and doing the work of the Lord. It is going to be so hard to leave tomorrow, but I know God will continue to work His work here at the Children’s home and in each of my team member’s lives.

We have done several projects around the home, such as varnishing the girls’ playground equipment, building picnic tables and shelves, sanding, painting, and of course playing with the kids. We have had ups and downs (such as sickness and an injury), but God has always kept us strong. I can speak for my whole team – even though we have had hard times, we are truly going to miss this place and the kids!














Thank you to New Life Children’s Home for giving us this opportunity!
~Ashton Bacon and the Asbury Team

No comments: